Albert M. Field is the pioneer who is mainly remembered for donating an acre of land for the first courthouse in Dade County. In 1889, Dade County stretched from St. Lucie Inlet to Biscayne Bay, and the only courthouse was a rented room in Miami. The north county voters called for a special election to move the county seat to a more convenient location for them, and won. The acre of land donated by Field was named Juno, and there ground was broken for the courthouse. While it was being built, Field kept the county records in his home, charging $15.00 a month for rent, the same as the Miami landlord had charged.
Field was one of the large landowners of the north county area. His wife’s name was spelled variously Lettie C. and Leahretta C. She and Albert were on the north shore of Lake Worth as early as January 1888. Lettie died before the courthouse was completed in 1890.